Assertive peopleAssertive people tend to have the following characteristics:
- They feel free to express their feelings, thoughts, and desires.
- They are "also able to initiate and maintain comfortable relationships with [other] people"
- They know their rights.
- They have control over their anger. This does not mean that they repress this feeling; it means that they control anger and talk about it in a reasoning manner.
- "Assertive people ... are willing to compromise with others, rather than always wanting their own way ... and tend to have good self-esteem".
- "Assertive people enter friendships from an 'I count my needs. I count your needs' position".
a learnable skill and mode of communication.